Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Block Ip
MonsterSmallBusiness Forums > MonsterCommerce > How do I?
sleggtools
Is there anyway for us to block an ip address from accessing our site, we want to block the ip's of a few fraud artists that keep placing orders with us. I know that we are able to do this via a payment gateway, but I would like to block access on site.
MonkeyFly
Me too. I've seen where you can do this using a ht access code or file, but not sure how to do this, since I've only read about it.

The fraud artists hit me hard and almost daily now and today, in fact, tried 4 times using my Linkpoint, plus 4 or 5 more times other ways, and then sent me 3 emails telling me to send this ASAP. They just don't quit! mad.gif
flyerhut.com
I still have not gone live with my site, so I don't know much about how people try to pull frauds. I'm just curious to know some of the things they try to pull so I'm aware...
bookmark
In our case, we get orders that are obviously fraudulent. Mostly from Indonesia. After they place their orders, they e-mail over and over and over again asking that the order be sent immediately.

They are really just a big pain to deal with. Our site isn't set up to ship to any of the suspect countries, so that blocks their orders from going through.

Now they've started calling using the AT&T services for the deaf. We don't accept those calls anymore. I really feel bad for deaf people who really need those services as more and more merchants aren't accepting those calls anymore.

Patti
MonkeyFly
In my case, blocking that country doesn't work for Nigeria orders. Many here will tell you that Nigeria moves quite a bit dry.gif . Today for me, Nigeria is now in the Netherlands. laugh.gif
They are VERY obvious and there are many threads here that you can read to learn the red flags.
AKSci
I have to say that we have been very lucky in not receiving and fraudulent orders. But because of that I fear that I am really ignorant as to what to look out for to tell if an order is fraudulent. ohmy.gif

Are there any easy ways to tell?

mcsmiths
I fear that I am really ignorant as to what to look out for to tell if an order is fraudulent. 

So far, I haven't had any of the fraudulent Nigerian orders, other than receiving emails requesting a gazillion products shipped overnight. However, I've encountered some fraudulent orders in the past, when I had my Yachoo store. I recall one order that was to ship express to an address that was different from the billing address. The customer's zip code and address didn't match what was on file with the credit card's issuing bank. The cell phone number provided had been disconnected and the email address didn't work. Those are a few "red flags" that indicate something might be a tad off.
ArcoJedi
Is there anyway for us to block an ip address from accessing our site, we want to block the ip's of a few fraud artists that keep placing orders with us. I know that we are able to do this via a payment gateway, but I would like to block access on site.

We did at one point in time that some clients may recall allow you to submit a list of IPs that you would like blocked. However, more recently as fraud grows and those that commit the fraud get better ways of avoiding these blocks (such as 'spoofing' their IP address to appear different than actual) this became unreliable and something we no longer support becaus of this.

We have always been building better and stronger tools into our systems to stop fraud and have worked with the payment gateways to get their anti-fraud tools compatible with the cart. For instance, most payment gateways now require the entry of the CVV number from the back of the card. Also, the cart has a function that blocks people from attempting to check out again after more than a certain number of failed attempts. There are a lot of other features that are in place and more that are being worked on, but I can't really give anything away in this public arena.

If you use an online payment gateway such as Authorize.net and they reject the transaction due to something not matching up on the account info, the order will end up in your non-finalized orders.

Other than this, especially take extra caution with orders that are billed to one person but shipped to another.

Other than petitioning the Nigerian government crying.gif for these fraudulent people... Anyone else have some practical ideas they use in their store?
leathus
I have heard some merchants mention using ARIN to check on the IP that is a non-U.S. customer is using.

What, exactly, are we looking for here? Whether the country/city on record matches the customer's alleged country/city?

bookmark
I don't want to give away specifics, but on our store we can tell by what they order.

Another thing they all do is order large quantities, request expedited delivery, put notes in the comments section, and e-mail repeatedly asking us to please ship it ASAP.

If even one of those criterion are met, we use the following site to check on the customer information:

http://www.maxmind.com/app/ccv2

We also call the credit card company's fraud help line and ask to verify the information. (We don't use gateway processing.)

The only one that got through was tricky because the person used all of their real information - but their mailing address was to a Mail Boxes etc. Everything matched, but he just claimed that he never received it. Without his signature, we had to refund his money. We even talked to his wife and she told me flat out that he does that all the time, and yes, he did receive the stuff from us. Unfortunately, the credit card company would not reverse the chargeback on her word alone.

I wish we could identify Mail Boxes etc stores by address.
expaper_jean
Also, the cart has a function that blocks people from attempting to check out again after more than a certain number of failed attempts.

How do I activate this service. I just changed a client from a Miva cart to a monstersmile.gif cart. The Miva cart had this capability, but I was informed that monstersmile.gif didn't. Being able to block an ip address after 3 unsuccessfull attempts would be awesome. Tell me more. Where can I sign up?????
AKSci
Thanks mcsmiths and acrojedi. I will do so.

Thanks bookmark the site is great. We don't use gateway either.

We even talked to his wife and she told me flat out that he does that all the time, and yes, he did receive the stuff from us.

There are some sick people out there.

This ecommerce thing is so very complicated all i used to have to worry about is making new webpages fixing glitches in a site. wacko.gif
Thanks for your help
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.