Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help With Customer Registration Page
MonsterSmallBusiness Forums > MonsterCommerce > How do I?
Jason Thompson
Hello MC Folks! We're launching our second MC website and I have a question about customer registration.

How can I format the customer registration page?

We're requiring customers to log-in before they can view the site, and so far I have been able to format/design the homepage, (click here to log-in, etc) however, the html for the registration page is justified all the way to the left of the page and there seems to be no formatting available through the admin panel.

See the image here: http://ragandbone.com/bloggerimages2008/2009/00_mc/mc.jpg

Can I alter the formatting for this page?

Thanks!

Jason
Katt
If you just need to center it, go to Layout > Site Wide Color & Font Options > Site Borders & Misc. tab. Make sure Page Alignment is set to center.
Jason Thompson
Thanks for the reply, however that option refers to the position of the entire site within the browser window, and it's already set to "center".

Any MC folks have suggestions?

Thanks!

Jason

QUOTE(Katt @ May 14 2009, 09:57 AM) *
If you just need to center it, go to Layout > Site Wide Color & Font Options > Site Borders & Misc. tab. Make sure Page Alignment is set to center.

Katt
Hmm... I'm having trouble understanding why that isn't working unless you're using a custom html page for the registration page, and even then I think it should work unless you're somehow overriding some css. Can you send an actual link so I can see the code? I'm not a monstersmile.gif expert but I am pretty good with html and css. I've been helped tremendously by others in these forums so I try to give back when I can. happy.gif
Jason Thompson
Thanks Katt!

I'm leaving for a trade show - will be gone for a week - but will pick up on this when I return.

In the meantime, here's the address: http://www.ragandbonewholesale.com/

Thanks,

Jason

QUOTE(Katt @ May 14 2009, 10:48 AM) *
Hmm... I'm having trouble understanding why that isn't working unless you're using a custom html page for the registration page, and even then I think it should work unless you're somehow overriding some css. Can you send an actual link so I can see the code? I'm not a monstersmile.gif expert but I am pretty good with html and css. I've been helped tremendously by others in these forums so I try to give back when I can. happy.gif

Katt
I checked it with Firefox and IE6 and it was centered in both. It appears to shift a little when going from the main page to the registration page, but that's because of the scroll bar - nothing you can do about that unless you want to make sure all your pages are long enough to require a scroll bar.

What browser are you using?
Katt
Ok I just started looking at the code anyway, and there are a few things that might cause unpredictable results in some browsers (although it's working fine in my browsers):

The <head> section of your html is messed up. I'm unable to find a way to edit the head section (I wish I could but I think MC hides it from you) so you'll need someone at NS to look at this. It has the title and stylesheet links outside the head, no doctype declaration, and no charset declaration. After the <head> section is fixed, if you're still having trouble with it, post back and I'll look at the rest of the code.
Jason Thompson
Hey Katt,

I'm back from NYC and ready to tackle this issue. Thanks for the help.

The problem I'm having is not the location of the main window, but the location of the "REGISTER" button within the main window.

Here's a new image to show you what I mean...

http://ragandbone.com/bloggerimages2008/20...utton_issue.jpg

This may seem like a small issue, but our customers are calling to say they need a login/password. When we tell them they have to register first, they ask us how. We point out the Registration button and they seem oblivious to the fact that it's right there on the page.

I understand their confusion, the registration button is hard to see.

So, the question is: How can I manipulate the design of the registration/log-in page?

Any suggestions?

Jason

PS: Option two would be to have a splash page (index.html) with direct links to either log-in or register. However, our customers would have to see this splash page everytime they visit the site. Its a clunky alternative to manipulating the login-registration pages, but maybe a last resort.

QUOTE(Katt @ May 18 2009, 10:45 AM) *
Ok I just started looking at the code anyway, and there are a few things that might cause unpredictable results in some browsers (although it's working fine in my browsers):

The <head> section of your html is messed up. I'm unable to find a way to edit the head section (I wish I could but I think MC hides it from you) so you'll need someone at NS to look at this. It has the title and stylesheet links outside the head, no doctype declaration, and no charset declaration. After the <head> section is fixed, if you're still having trouble with it, post back and I'll look at the rest of the code.
Katt
Sorry I misunderstood before. I'm looking at the code now. It would be easier if there was only one button on the page using the same css class, but there are two, so I'm trying to find a way to change the styling of one without affecting the styling of the other. I'm also supposed to be working now, so it may be a while. happy.gif
Jason Thompson
Awesome!

Thanks Katt,

Jason

-----

QUOTE(Katt @ May 21 2009, 03:22 PM) *
Sorry I misunderstood before. I'm looking at the code now. It would be easier if there was only one button on the page using the same css class, but there are two, so I'm trying to find a way to change the styling of one without affecting the styling of the other. I'm also supposed to be working now, so it may be a while. happy.gif

Katt
Jason,

I've tried a few experiments... unsuccessfully. This is one of those problems that will drive me nuts and I'll probably keep hacking away at it, but here's the problem in a nutshell - see if you can get MC to help: I can't target the register button and use css to style it or move it unless I can grab that button by it's name - otherwise the only code I can write will affect every button on that page. Normally, this is done in the <head> section using javascript, but we don't have access to the <head> section - my few attempts to do it in the <body> have failed. I don't give up easily though so I will probably take a few more stabs tonight. I can't stand when something should be easy and it's not.

Your idea about a custom static page may work though. If a customer is already registered, he would still need to log in anyway wouldn't he? So a static register/login page seems to make sense. If you wanted the login to stick (like a "remember me" function), you could use a cookie, then have code on the page that checks for the cookie - cookie found bypasses the register/login page, no cookie = load the register/login page. You would want to warn customers that this is a potential security problem if they are using a public or shared computer. Just a thought.

Katt
Jason Thompson
Thanks Katt! I know what you mean about wanting to solve something like this, otherwise it irks me that it can't be done.

The splash page might work though. I'm still thinking about this as a simple solution.

I have to work on our retail site today - Memorial Day Sale - but will be working on this problem over the weekend.

BTW: What's your site?

Jason

--------

QUOTE(Katt @ May 21 2009, 04:46 PM) *
Jason,

I've tried a few experiments... unsuccessfully. This is one of those problems that will drive me nuts and I'll probably keep hacking away at it, but here's the problem in a nutshell - see if you can get MC to help: I can't target the register button and use css to style it or move it unless I can grab that button by it's name - otherwise the only code I can write will affect every button on that page. Normally, this is done in the <head> section using javascript, but we don't have access to the <head> section - my few attempts to do it in the <body> have failed. I don't give up easily though so I will probably take a few more stabs tonight. I can't stand when something should be easy and it's not.

Your idea about a custom static page may work though. If a customer is already registered, he would still need to log in anyway wouldn't he? So a static register/login page seems to make sense. If you wanted the login to stick (like a "remember me" function), you could use a cookie, then have code on the page that checks for the cookie - cookie found bypasses the register/login page, no cookie = load the register/login page. You would want to warn customers that this is a potential security problem if they are using a public or shared computer. Just a thought.

Katt

Jason Thompson
Katt, I was just thinking about this issue, and came up with this:

http://ragandbone.com/bloggerimages2008/2009/00_mc/login.jpg

Graphics!

I wonder if this will solve the issue of our customers NOT seeing the registration button.

What do you think? Easy?

Jason
Katt
Easy if you do a custom html page. The problem is you have no access to to the code used to create the login page so this would take some ugly and non-conventional coding.

I've posted your problem (not using your name or website) to my favorite webmaster forum to see if they have any ideas. I'll keep you posted. It is starting to look like a custom page situation though. worry.gif
Katt
Hey Jason -

A custom page may not be necessary. Try adding this somewhere on the page, modify to your needs (ie - remove backgroundcolor if you want to see the background image) :

CODE
<script type="text/javascript">
var e = document.getElementsByName("btnRegister")[0];
e.style.backgroundColor = 'black';
e.style.color = '#fff';
e.style.fontSize = '10px';
e.style.backgroundimage = 'button.jpg';
e.style.width = '180px';
e.style.height = '60px';
e.style.position = 'relative';
e.style.top = '20px';
e.style.left = '20px';
e.value = 'My Account';
</script>

Other parameters may be used also - let me know if you need help.
Katt
Hey Jason -

Were you unable to get this to work? You might want to try what I do:

View the page in your browser
View the source code and save it to your computer as an html file
Open the html file in notepad (or dreamweaver if you prefer - just as long as you can get to the code)
Find all of the img and script references in the code and make their src absolute (add the http://www.yourdomain.com/ to them - don't forget the stylesheets in the head section)
Save the file again and open it in your browser - it should look just like it does on the website (links and such won't work but you're just working on appearance)
Now you can test to your heart's desire without messing up your live website.
Copy the code from above and paste it into the file somewhere between the <body> and </body> tags. Tinker til you're happy then add that code on the website in the login top or login bottom section.

Katt
Jason Thompson
Hey Katt,

I FINALLY had a chance to work on this issue again.

The way I solved the "can't-find-the-register-button" issue my customers were having is with a custom splash/index page, which customers see every time they visit (except if they logout themselves, then they are redirected to login, not index).

You can see here http://www.ragandbonewholesale.com

Thanks for your suggestions!

Cheers,

Jason
Katt
Jason - I'm glad you figured out something that works, and it does look very nice.

I hate to be negative, but I want to make sure you've considered two points - if neither of these are an issue for you, then just ignore me!

1. Page load time - the images are a bit heavy. The page loads almost instantly on my T1 connection, but on a dialup connection it would take 47 seconds to load. A low-end DSL connection might take 7-8 seconds or longer to load (this is the ONLY type of DSL available in my neighborhood, which is why I have a T1).

2. Search engine ranking - Search engine spiders will see this as basically a blank page. Without any text for the spiders to see, they won't know what the page is about or how to index it so it will likely not appear in search engines at all (or so far down in rank it may as well be invisible).
Jason Thompson
Katt,

Thanks for the concern. I see your point regarding using an image map instead of simpler HTML as far as file size goes. I'll take a look at that and clean it up a bit at the next round of updates.

This wholesale site is not supposed to show up in google or other search engines, I added code for bots to ignore the site. It's a private, wholesale site for specific customers. Our retail site is the one we want showing up in the engines.

Thanks a bunch man, really appreciate your feedback.

Jason
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.