Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Editing The Index.asp File
MonsterSmallBusiness Forums > MonsterCommerce > How do I?
GrilledPepper
I have a guy doing some SEO work on my site. One of the things he's requesting to do is edit my index.asp file. I called the support line and they said the file is locked down and can not be edited.

My SEO guy said that being able to edit this file is important for SEO. I'm curious as to what others have done and if this is really a necessary step.

Thanks!
Ryan
scaldiran-MC Team
You don't need to edit the asp files to get good SEO rankings. What was it, specifically, that he wanted to do by changing this file? He should be able to make any changes necessary within the Admin Panel.
Rhonda
QUOTE(GrilledPepper @ Nov 5 2008, 09:06 PM) *
I have a guy doing some SEO work on my site. One of the things he's requesting to do is edit my index.asp file. I called the support line and they said the file is locked down and can not be edited.

My SEO guy said that being able to edit this file is important for SEO. I'm curious as to what others have done and if this is really a necessary step.

Thanks!
Ryan

Your SEO guy should give you the changes necessary and then you can then take those changes and update your homepage via the Admin console. The index.asp page is dynamically created from the admin panel comprising the home page, header, footer and left and right columns after each edit and save.
Katt
QUOTE(Rhonda @ Nov 5 2008, 10:01 PM) *
QUOTE(GrilledPepper @ Nov 5 2008, 09:06 PM) *

Thanks!
Ryan

Your SEO guy should give you the changes necessary and then you can then take those changes and update your homepage via the Admin console. The index.asp page is dynamically created from the admin panel comprising the home page, header, footer and left and right columns after each edit and save.

A web developer who has never used an out-of-the-box shopping cart solution (like monstersmile.gif) may have trouble understanding how this works at first - it's VERY different than having full control over your files. But if you have them create a custom page through the admin panel, then study the code it generates to make the page, they'll quickly get the hang of it.

Another thing that helps developers who are new to this - put comments at the top and bottom of every section (top of page, left column, right column, etc.) that identifies the section and where it begins and ends. This way you can look at the source code of a page and get a much better idea of how the system works. For example, the html code in your top of page section would look like this:
CODE
<!-- top of page section -->
<table>
  <tr>
    <td><h1>Welcome to My Store</h1></td>
  </tr>
</table>
<!-- end top of page section -->

I hope this helps!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.