Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paypal Standard Vs Express
MonsterSmallBusiness Forums > MonsterCommerce > How do I?
pavlicek
I have been using Paypal standard on my sites for years. I don't recall why I never looked into Express and don't really know the difference. I notice on the v7 demo that the only option is Paypal Express.

Can someone tell me the difference? Do I need to go to Paypal and sign up for Express? Getting an answer from Paypal is nothing but pat answers from their tech pages - they don't really read and understand the questions when you email them.

Thanks for any help.

Jeanne
moshi-moshi
Hi Jeanne,

Last time I checked Express had a monthly fee of $20.00 whether or not transactions were processed by customers that month. Standard allows customers to pay by paypal and then you go in and confirm payment through your account. Standard works great + it's FREE. This was our experience last year so there may be changes.

Sheena
pavlicek
QUOTE(moshi-moshi @ Jul 15 2008, 07:59 AM) *
Hi Jeanne,

Last time I checked Express had a monthly fee of $20.00 whether or not transactions were processed by customers that month. Standard allows customers to pay by paypal and then you go in and confirm payment through your account. Standard works great + it's FREE. This was our experience last year so there may be changes.

Sheena

Sheena,

I am currently using Paypal standard, so I understand how that works. My concern is that when I looked at the MC version 7 demo, the only choice in the drop down box is for Paypal EXPRESS. So something is going to have to change somewhere.

Jeanne doh.gif
BamaCat
We better be able to use Standard in v7, that would be lame. I don't see why it wouldn't be? Can an MC tech answer this?
MarkL - MC Tech
PayPal Standard is not usable on the 7.x cart, only PayPal Express is offered on that platform.

As far as the differences are concerned, take a look at the following link, it does a good job of explaining:

PayPal Express
pavlicek
QUOTE(MarkL - MC Tech @ Jul 16 2008, 08:18 AM) *
PayPal Standard is not usable on the 7.x cart, only PayPal Express is offered on that platform.

As far as the differences are concerned, take a look at the following link, it does a good job of explaining:

PayPal Express

OMG! Yet another "simple transition" point to v7. Making changes in Paypal is a joke in itself.

Although I admire you MC techies for your knowledge in web design, it appears you don't have a clue sometimes as to how hard we work as store owners and (sometimes - like in my case) how we only have the bare minimim html experience. I can't afford to spend thousands of dollars to pay for a technical support person, so I limp along handling 3 web stores on my own. It took me years to refine some of the intricate features on my very simplistic first store. I already work 12-14 hours per day. Now as I approach the upgrade to version 7, I keep seeing more and more complicated and time-consuming changes I will have to figure out and make - while I'm still trying to run my stores and make an income.

The responses I see from MC folks is "not to worry - it will all be very simple". It's not looking that way from my point of view. Ya know, you need to assign people like me a MC techie buddy to handle the changes like Paypal, forms, payment gateway changes, etc. during the upgrade. I am stressed out enough and my first one hasn't even started!

Jeanne
pavlicek
QUOTE(MarkL - MC Tech @ Jul 16 2008, 08:18 AM) *

PayPal Express

Ok, I am on the Paypal site reading the 92 page (no lie) pdf file on implementing Paypal express. So far it sounds like if you use Paypal express, you use an additional Check Out button on your site. You have your MC cart checkout button and then you have your Paypal Checkout button. The customer clicks on the Paypal button and is taken to Paypal immediately to log in. Paypal captures their address, etc., they verify and complete the transaction. Then they are brought back to the store.

Actually, what I really need to know is this. Is there anything I will need to do regarding implementing Paypal Express, other than already having a Paypal account and choosing it on the drop down menu in the V7 set up? Is all the rest of it already "programmed" by MC. I would be very happy if this is the case!

Can someone from MC confirm?

Thanks!
Jeanne
moshi-moshi
hmmm.....

My 2 cents: Just like adding our SSL Certs, I think M*nster should add the Paypal Express options to our accounts through the 'submit a ticket' system.
totlcomp
QUOTE(pavlicek @ Jul 15 2008, 08:38 AM) *
I have been using Paypal standard on my sites for years. I don't recall why I never looked into Express and don't really know the difference. I notice on the v7 demo that the only option is Paypal Express.

Can someone tell me the difference? Do I need to go to Paypal and sign up for Express? Getting an answer from Paypal is nothing but pat answers from their tech pages - they don't really read and understand the questions when you email them.

Thanks for any help.

Jeanne

It doesn't look like the Express integration costs anything to the merchant. Can someone from MC comment on that?

(As an aside, I didn't see MC or NetSol listed as a Paypal Express compatible shopping cart here: https://www.paypal.com/en_US/html/Solutions...ompatible.html).
pavlicek
QUOTE(totlcomp @ Jul 16 2008, 01:04 PM) *
QUOTE(pavlicek @ Jul 15 2008, 08:38 AM) *

Thanks for any help.

Jeanne

It doesn't look like the Express integration costs anything to the merchant. Can someone from MC comment on that?

(As an aside, I didn't see MC or NetSol listed as a Paypal Express compatible shopping cart here: https://www.paypal.com/en_US/html/Solutions...ompatible.html).

I called Paypal a little while ago and spoke to someone in tech support. He said it doesn't cost any more than regular Paypal. Apparently it is a separate form of checkout that the customer selects and it provides their address information automatically. I'm guessing that they would click the Paypal checkout button instead of the regular cart button to make this happen. The Paypal guy couldn't comment on how it would be integrated with the NetSol cart.

Still hoping we hear something back from our MC techies!

Rhonda
I have PayPal Express on my v7 store and I didn't have to do anything but set the proper settings on the Operations>Payments>PayPal Express payment method. That page tells you exactly what to do and it took only 2 mins.

The code is already there so that when you set these settings, the PayPal checkout automatically appears in your shopping cart module and in the checkout process. That's it.

The only requirement is that you have a PayPal Premier or Business account which I would think most website business already have. I did.
MC Team - Eddie
QUOTE(pavlicek @ Jul 16 2008, 03:12 PM) *
I called Paypal a little while ago and spoke to someone in tech support. He said it doesn't cost any more than regular Paypal. Apparently it is a separate form of checkout that the customer selects and it provides their address information automatically. I'm guessing that they would click the Paypal checkout button instead of the regular cart button to make this happen. The Paypal guy couldn't comment on how it would be integrated with the NetSol cart.

I am not sure about the costs associated with PayPal Express vs. Standard but I can let you know a little about how PayPal Express works.

You will setup PayPal Express similar to the way it is setup in 4x. You just need to get a business or premiere account from PayPal and insert the email address you use to sign up with that account. Once that is done, there will be a PayPal button just underneath the cart checkout so your customers can choose whether to pay with paypal express or use the regular cart checkout. If they click this link, they will be forwarded to PayPals site to login. Once they are logged in and all the payment information is processed through PayPal they will be returned to the site to complete the checkout process.

Hope this helps you to better understand the process.
pavlicek
QUOTE(MC Team - Eddie @ Jul 16 2008, 01:18 PM) *
QUOTE(pavlicek @ Jul 16 2008, 03:12 PM) *

I am not sure about the costs associated with PayPal Express vs. Standard but I can let you know a little about how PayPal Express works.

You will setup PayPal Express similar to the way it is setup in 4x. You just need to get a business or premiere account from PayPal and insert the email address you use to sign up with that account. Once that is done, there will be a PayPal button just underneath the cart checkout so your customers can choose whether to pay with paypal express or use the regular cart checkout. If they click this link, they will be forwarded to PayPals site to login. Once they are logged in and all the payment information is processed through PayPal they will be returned to the site to complete the checkout process.

Hope this helps you to better understand the process.

Thanks Eddie! That does make it sound a lot easier than the Paypal document I was reading! Basically, we just do a very little up front work and the software takes care of the rest! Whew.

Thanks again.

Jeanne
pavlicek
QUOTE(Rhonda @ Jul 16 2008, 01:16 PM) *
I have PayPal Express on my v7 store and I didn't have to do anything but set the proper settings on the Operations>Payments>PayPal Express payment method. That page tells you exactly what to do and it took only 2 mins.

The code is already there so that when you set these settings, the PayPal checkout automatically appears in your shopping cart module and in the checkout process. That's it.

The only requirement is that you have a PayPal Premier or Business account which I would think most website business already have. I did.

Thanks for the input Rhonda! Sounds like the Paypal site makes it a lot more mysterious than it needs to be.

Jeanne
Rhonda
QUOTE(pavlicek @ Jul 16 2008, 03:23 PM) *
Thanks for the input Rhonda! Sounds like the Paypal site makes it a lot more mysterious than it needs to be.

Jeanne

Yes, the document that you were looking at above was for the "developers" of ecommerce packages to show them how to integrate this as an option into their ecommerce packages to their customers (i.e. that was the docu that NS developers followed in order to give us the option to turn it on in our stores). thumbsup.gif
moshi-moshi
Great info..

If you have G**gle Checkout and Paypal will there be three buttons in checkout for customers to choose from?

Anyone using all 3? How does it look? Are they stacked on top of each other? How about if you have View Cart on your page - does the Paypal button show up there as well? Anyone on v7 have a link we could see?

Sheena
MC Team - Eddie
QUOTE(moshi-moshi @ Jul 17 2008, 11:32 AM) *
Great info..

If you have G**gle Checkout and Paypal will there be three buttons in checkout for customers to choose from?

Anyone using all 3? How does it look? Are they stacked on top of each other? How about if you have View Cart on your page - does the Paypal button show up there as well? Anyone on v7 have a link we could see?

Sheena

I don't have a live site that you can look at however I can tell you that the view cart page will display in the container as it currently does with the checkout now button for your cart checkout below. Underneath that will display the GoogleCheckout button followed by the PayPal Express button below the Google button.
Rhonda
Great info..

Sheena

You can look at my site (radiantguard (dot) com).
pavlicek
QUOTE(BamaCat @ Jul 16 2008, 07:26 AM) *
We better be able to use Standard in v7, that would be lame. I don't see why it wouldn't be? Can an MC tech answer this?

I wanted to get back with you to let you know that I thought I would try converting from Paypal Standard to Paypal Express on one of my sites (still in vs4), in preparation for the Migration. It worked fine (of course I haven't had a Paypal sale yet on that site today.... ) I already have a business account with Paypal, so I followed the instructions to get the API Access Link. Simply put, it tells Paypal that MonsterCommerce can handle Paypal payments on our behalf. Then I went to my admin panel, changed the online payment from PP Standard to PP Express. It automatically put the Paypal checkout logo near the top of the first checkout page (not on the home page, but after you click the regular checkout button). When the customer clicks on the "check out with Paypal", it takes them directly to a Paypal log in page that can have your Business Name at the top or you can (trying to) load your logo through your MC online payment image field, so it shows at the top of the Paypal login screen. It's actually pretty cool. I'm still trying to get my logo the right size to fit on the page. I want the logo on each of my store's checkout pages, rather than the business name, since they are 3 different stores with different names!

Hope that gives a little more insight.

I'm trying not to calm down... Next week 2 of my stores are migrating.

Jeanne
moshi-moshi
QUOTE(Rhonda @ Jul 17 2008, 03:11 PM) *
Great info..

Sheena

You can look at my site (radiantguard (dot) com).

Thank you. Nice website. We'll have all 3 choices as well. I'm wondering if we can evenly space the Checkout Now button and the G**Gle checkout button so all three are even. I also see how Paypal gets a little extra marketing in there - "the safer, easier way to pay". Thanks again!!
loxalot
As Jeanne explained, the PP Ex button is at the top of the first page of checkout, the one after someone clicks from the cart page. It's a bright orange button with no way to change it or the text that's required after it. I didn't want to use it at first because it would confuse my customers, thinking that we only took PP but I've added some text above it and that seems to help. Those that want to use PP I think love it because they don't have to enter their information on the first page then go to the second, choose PP then log into PP and finish there. Since their information is already in the PP account, they click on the annoying large orange button, sign in, agree to the total then I think it brings them back to the first page of checkout where they have to click on the "I agree to the policies of this site...", choose their shipping method then finish. I can't be certain of the last few steps since I can't buy from myself using PP, I've tried using it to test.

I hope the annoying orange button is gone in v7 but from what I understand the agreement between MC and PP doesn't allow that change.

I also hope that in v7 the g00gle checkout button doesn't show up under the cart at the top of my site or I still can't use it. They would add GC after I paid MC to design my site, just my luck.
pavlicek
QUOTE(loxalot @ Jul 18 2008, 06:21 AM) *
As Jeanne explained, the PP Ex button is at the top of the first page of checkout, the one after someone clicks from the cart page. It's a bright orange button with no way to change it or the text that's required after it. I didn't want to use it at first because it would confuse my customers, thinking that we only took PP but I've added some text above it and that seems to help. Those that want to use PP I think love it because they don't have to enter their information on the first page then go to the second, choose PP then log into PP and finish there. Since their information is already in the PP account, they click on the annoying large orange button, sign in, agree to the total then I think it brings them back to the first page of checkout where they have to click on the "I agree to the policies of this site...", choose their shipping method then finish. I can't be certain of the last few steps since I can't buy from myself using PP, I've tried using it to test.

I hope the annoying orange button is gone in v7 but from what I understand the agreement between MC and PP doesn't allow that change.

I also hope that in v7 the g00gle checkout button doesn't show up under the cart at the top of my site or I still can't use it. They would add GC after I paid MC to design my site, just my luck.

James,

I see what you mean by the verbiage you added on the first check out page "Credit Card users: fill out the forms below then proceed to the next page."

My customers will definitely get confused if I don't add something!

You could save me a whole bunch of time by telling me where to go to put that same information on my site! Is it on the checkout html? Which section?

Jeanne
loxalot
This is on v4 of course: Checkout > Checkout Settings > 2 Step HTML > Address & Options Top
pavlicek
QUOTE(loxalot @ Jul 18 2008, 07:01 AM) *
This is on v4 of course: Checkout > Checkout Settings > 2 Step HTML > Address & Options Top

Thanks a bunch! Done! We'll see what happens. My customers are confused enough without adding more to the mix! happy.gif
BamaCat
That PP Express button in v4 is just aweful, I really hope that big ugly intrusive un-editable button will not be in the same place in v7 as it is in v4. The payment options need to be in the same place, it's less confusing. After seeing that terrible button I switched to Standard which has been great, it's very subtle and it's only on the last page of checkout with the other options. Even adding instructions about that PP button was totally lame, people thought I only took PayPal, and if there's one thing I've learned from owning an internet biz it's that most people just don't read, other than maybe the product description, and not even that half the time.

Also, if we're going to have the G00gle, paypal, and regular checkout buttons all in the right column on top of each other, seems like it would be better to have the regular checkout button say "checkout with credit card" (or something similar) so it's clearer? I could be wrong, but it just seems the simpler and clearer everything is, the higher the conversion rate will be.
pavlicek
QUOTE(BamaCat @ Jul 21 2008, 04:55 PM) *
That PP Express button in v4 is just aweful, I really hope that big ugly intrusive un-editable button will not be in the same place in v7 as it is in v4. The payment options need to be in the same place, it's less confusing. After seeing that terrible button I switched to Standard which has been great, it's very subtle and it's only on the last page of checkout with the other options. Even adding instructions about that PP button was totally lame, people thought I only took PayPal, and if there's one thing I've learned from owning an internet biz it's that most people just don't read, other than maybe the product description, and not even that half the time.

Also, if we're going to have the G00gle, paypal, and regular checkout buttons all in the right column on top of each other, seems like it would be better to have the regular checkout button say "checkout with credit card" (or something similar) so it's clearer? I could be wrong, but it just seems the simpler and clearer everything is, the higher the conversion rate will be.

Hey, can we upload a different Paypal button to use in its place? You know rename the new one the same as the old one and it will replace the one you hate? I know we can do it with other buttons. Any reason why not that Paypal Express button?

Jeanne
loxalot
QUOTE(pavlicek @ Jul 21 2008, 05:59 PM) *
QUOTE(BamaCat @ Jul 21 2008, 04:55 PM) *

Hey, can we upload a different Paypal button to use in its place? You know rename the new one the same as the old one and it will replace the one you hate? I know we can do it with other buttons. Any reason why not that Paypal Express button?

Jeanne

PayPal won't allow it. If you do and they find out they may cancel your account. Check with PP to be certain but I wouldn't change it unless they say you can, in writing.
MC Team - Eddie
QUOTE(loxalot @ Jul 21 2008, 11:12 PM) *
QUOTE(pavlicek @ Jul 21 2008, 05:59 PM) *

Jeanne

PayPal won't allow it. If you do and they find out they may cancel your account. Check with PP to be certain but I wouldn't change it unless they say you can, in writing.

The paypal buttons are hosted on their servers and you are unable to change them per their TOS.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.