Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gift Certificates
MonsterSmallBusiness Forums > MonsterCommerce > How do I?
artisandichroic
Hello, we've been using MC for awhile now but I am just getting into this end of the biz. The boss has inquired about gift certificates. Specifically, their ease of use. She checked into using them when she first set up the site a few years ago, but said they gave the purchaser a giant long number that they then had to somehow give to the recipient of the gift. That person would then have to punch that long number into the system in order to redeem the certificate. She said it seemed like it would cause more problems than it was worth and didn't implement it on the site.

Long story short, does anyone know if this feature has been improved in the past couple of years. Either way, what is the overall opinion of the user-friendliness of the feature?

Thanks,

Sheri Cannon
ArtisanDichroic.com
store2door
Hi Sheri,

It is working just fine. Most peaople know how to use cut and paste, so typing the code is not the issue. The only thing is that you can not use more then 1 certificate one the same order.

Hope it helps,
danilyn22
I found it to be a huge pain and took it off our site. Most of our customers wanted it sent via mail for the recepient to receive as a real gift in a card. I created cards and entered the big long number. It was just too much of a hassle and not many people used it. Of course our product is normatly given as gifts so I only got a few requests a year. The good news is that everyonce in a while the recepient would lose the card (with the number) and the cert would never be used!! Sweet........
macrick
QUOTE(danilyn22 @ Apr 30 2008, 03:14 PM) *
I found it to be a huge pain and took it off our site. Most of our customers wanted it sent via mail for the recepient to receive as a real gift in a card. I created cards and entered the big long number. It was just too much of a hassle and not many people used it. Of course our product is normatly given as gifts so I only got a few requests a year. The good news is that everyonce in a while the recepient would lose the card (with the number) and the cert would never be used!! Sweet........

Kinda agree with this.

We don't have it visible either, mostly because of Fraud. Just the other day, we sold a $100 gift certificate (even though it has not been visible since 12/26/07) and none of the fields we have for people to fill in the blanks were filled in, except one field, titled "message to send" where the customer left it as the default message of "merry christmas", cancelled the order, have not heard from a customer.

If we had physical cards to mail, get a signature for on the delivery, and it didn't cost a fortune to make the cards, we probably would do it, and push it more. But sending them electronically is risky in our industry.

AmericanGamingSupply
I found a way to make gift cards without speding too much money. What I do is send them like a paper gift card with the code. I just started this because I got a phone call from a customer who wanted some gift cards for prize. I have not yet fully put gift cards for sale on my site. I want to get some feedbacks from websites that have this feature and what do they think of it. Also has anyone came across fraud with gift cards? Have you seen a benefit as far as conversion of sales using gift cards? Any information will help.

Thanks.
Parkeryamaha.com
This is an interesting article on them

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles...-New-Customers/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.