Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time Issue With Winxp
MonsterSmallBusiness Forums > MonsterCommerce > How do I?
loxalot
I recently took about 2 weeks off and left my PC off and unplugged. When I returned on Thursday and turned everything back on, it seemed fine until Thursday night. My PC clock keeps changing the time from AM to PM or vise versa. I've set the time zone to Mountain, clicked the adjust for daylight saving time and even turned off the synchronization with the time servers but it still changes. I'm not sure why it happens or what to do to keep it from doing it. I have an atomic clock in my office that I confirm the time with.

Anyone got an idea?

(didn't know where to post this)
MartiniGuy
QUOTE(loxalot @ Apr 20 2008, 08:51 AM) *
I recently took about 2 weeks off and left my PC off and unplugged. When I returned on Thursday and turned everything back on, it seemed fine until Thursday night. My PC clock keeps changing the time from AM to PM or vise versa. I've set the time zone to Mountain, clicked the adjust for daylight saving time and even turned off the synchronization with the time servers but it still changes. I'm not sure why it happens or what to do to keep it from doing it. I have an atomic clock in my office that I confirm the time with.

Anyone got an idea?

(didn't know where to post this)

Might be a software issue, or the cmos battery on your motherboard might be running out of juice--simple to replace it. Or you might want to contact a paranormal investigator to search for portals to another dimension opening up near your computer...happens to me every once in a while.
martiniemoticon.gif
store2door
Make sure download all critical updates from MSoft.
store2door
Here is a link
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
loxalot
QUOTE(store2door @ Apr 20 2008, 04:01 PM) *

KP931836 Setup Error
"Update cannot be installed as a newer or same timezone update has already been installed on the system"

Thanks for the attempt.

Parkeryamaha.com
Sounds like Cmos battery
Dave
loxalot
QUOTE(Parkeryamaha.com @ Apr 21 2008, 07:44 AM) *
Sounds like Cmos battery
Dave

Changing the time from AM to PM would be the battery? The HH:MM:SS is staying the same.
Parkeryamaha.com
Sorry James
That may not be the case then, We had one here do that but it was 1/2 day off and the guy kept having that isssue:)
Turns out he set in wrong and of course the am/pm was off 1/2 the day.

Yours sounds like a challenge
Dave
senioremporium
Seems that it may be the battery, but check that the CPU is runnign cool enough too. Check you fans and if connected to a UPS, check that it is working good (the UPS). Have you installed anything (or updated something) lately?

Run a RAM check if problem persists, maybe a bank is going bad, run the more stressful tests.

Scooter
totlcomp
Is your computer part of a Windows domain? I've had problems with Windows Server 2003 acting as an authoritative time server and not updating clients properly. There are some registry hacks you can do to use the Navy or other time servers instead of the default (which I believe uses the CMOS of the server).

If you do have a Windows domain server, I'd check the Event Log to see if there are any time-related entries.
loxalot
QUOTE(totlcomp @ Apr 22 2008, 07:08 AM) *
Is your computer part of a Windows domain? I've had problems with Windows Server 2003 acting as an authoritative time server and not updating clients properly. There are some registry hacks you can do to use the Navy or other time servers instead of the default (which I believe uses the CMOS of the server).

If you do have a Windows domain server, I'd check the Event Log to see if there are any time-related entries.

Since I'm not sure what that is, I doubt I use that. I've turned off auto syncronization to see if that helps but it didn't. The odd thing is that when I manually told it to update yesterday, it said it updated at 2:30AM but it was actually 2:30PM. It's still doing it and I can't figure out why.

Guess it's time to ask google.
loxalot
I replaced my CMOS battery just in case but it still does it. Sometimes it changes back to the wrong time within 2 minutes after I corrected it other times it takes longer.

I can't find a solution and nothing is like this on Microsoft's KB. Has anyone got any other ideas?
Monster Tech Lead
Hi Loxalot,

The last possible thing that I could think of is if there is some sort of malware or virus on your machine. I would try running a few scans with some software that I have used in the past to help fix some friend's computers.

Spybot - free and can be downloaded from http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
HijackThis - also free from http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/to...ools/hijackthis

I then would use some sort of virus scanner, if you need a free one there is a good one called AVG that you can download from http://free.grisoft.com/

Hope that can help
Joe
loxalot
I figured out the issue was with my Davis Vantage Pro 2 Weather Station having the wrong time (connected to PC via USB for updating to my weather websites). Once I changed the time to the correct one the issue went away. Just to be certain I changed the time to wrong again and the problem started up again.

Thanks for the help everyone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.