Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blog Advice
MonsterSmallBusiness Forums > MonsterCommerce > How do I?
MartiniGuy
Hey all.
This is actually relative to a V7, but since I cant access the V7 boards yet dry.gif

I need to set up a blog for a client Im building on V7. The intent is to create a good buzz and also to add content value to their site(and we will have 2 people dedicated to blogging and updating daily).

My questions are:
>For any of the ecoms that use blogs actively, which system do you suggest using?
>How have you set it up in relation to your monstersmile.gif/netsol site?

Any feedback is appreciated.
agkits
I don't know if there are any blogs that can be integrated into the new V7. However should you decide to create different domain I would suggest using Wordpress. It is extremely easy to install and use. There are also tons of great plugins and addons. If have any questions on it let me know.

oh yeh...and it's free.

justyn
chrisGC
Using wordpress you could setup a sub domain like blog.mywebsite.com and have it point to that. It would be great to have it point to mywebsite.com/blog/ but that would be a netsol question if that is even possible.

I have used wordpress in the past and is a really great free bloging platform. I have never used it with netsol so I can't help in that are but I have been thinking of doing this myself. Depending on the type of blogging they will be doing there I would also suggest www.tumblr.com. You could also use blogger.com but when a person enters a comment it directs them away from your site.
tahj1024
Not sure if you literally want the blog to be apart of the cart by embedding it or just want a smooth transition between the cart and blog w/o a user noticing a change. I dont know abut #1 but I read that #2 is doable. You can set up the blog on a subdomain. Use the center page area as for your articles but copy the outer border to match your cart. No one will notice a transition. Going back and forth will be a smooth transition especially if you keep the category / header links constant. . This was done with blogger but Im sure it will work with wordpress and other blogs too. To do it as a blogger account you have to 1) set up the account 2) subdomain 3)set the blogger setting to host it on your own server. Put it all the DSN stuff. 4) disign the shell to look like your site. 5) post away.

I don't how tricky it is to customize it when you host remotely but I think its a liltte tricky to do it when hosted on their servers. The template codes are not like designing normal a web page. If this is not what you had in mind . . . sorry haha
MartiniGuy
Thanks everyone!
woodsprite
QUOTE(tahj1024 @ Feb 7 2008, 05:24 PM) *
Not sure if you literally want the blog to be apart of the cart by embedding it or just want a smooth transition between the cart and blog w/o a user noticing a change. I dont know abut #1 but I read that #2 is doable. You can set up the blog on a subdomain. Use the center page area as for your articles but copy the outer border to match your cart. No one will notice a transition. Going back and forth will be a smooth transition especially if you keep the category / header links constant. . This was done with blogger but Im sure it will work with wordpress and other blogs too. To do it as a blogger account you have to 1) set up the account 2) subdomain 3)set the blogger setting to host it on your own server. Put it all the DSN stuff. 4) disign the shell to look like your site. 5) post away.

I don't how tricky it is to customize it when you host remotely but I think its a liltte tricky to do it when hosted on their servers. The template codes are not like designing normal a web page. If this is not what you had in mind . . . sorry haha

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just don't get the whole subdomain thing and how it works. Do you need to purchase a secondary domain and then have it point to something like: subdomain.maindomain.com or blog.maindomain.com?

I've been looking into the blog idea, too, but wasn't sure how to integrate it with my NetSol version 4 site...
ArcoJedi
You do not have to purchase a sub-domain. These links may help introduce you to the idea of sub-domains.

http://www.networksolutions.com/domain-nam...b-addresses.jsp
http://accountmanageruserguide.com/1540-subdomains.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.