Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Search Function
MonsterSmallBusiness Forums > MonsterCommerce > How do I?
heartland
I guess the downside is that it's from Google...but I'd really like to find a more robust search feature. Anyone tried this?

Google Search Function
StuffedAnimals.com
QUOTE(heartland @ Jul 26 2007, 09:09 PM) *
I guess the downside is that it's from Google...but I'd really like to find a more robust search feature. Anyone tried this?

Google Search Function

This is another example of monstersmile.gif customers having to improvise because of a basic function that doesn't function properly. The search logic is terrible.

You shouldn't have to seek out a third party solution when you're paying monstersmile.gif for an ecommerce platform.

monstersmile.gif....when will you improve the search funtion on our sites to deliver results from 2007 and not 1997?
KennyE
QUOTE(heartland @ Jul 26 2007, 09:09 PM) *

Google Search Function

To me that's a major downside. <lol>

I checked out some of the samples and they all returned Google searches on the net, none of them specific to the site it was hosted on. Did you find any examples where it actually queried just the host site? We're looking for a dif search function, as well.
totlcomp
QUOTE(heartland @ Jul 26 2007, 10:09 PM) *

Google Search Function

The Custom Search Business Edition looks like it only returns results from a given domain, can be branded to match the website, is customizable with XML, and doesn't display ads. $100/year for under 5,000 pages.

I used to use Atomz (they've been purchased and re-branded I believe. Their free version was better than the MC search, but then they removed the free version so I went back.

Great find - thanks! I may try this if the new cart doesn't improve the built-in search functionality.
heartland
This is the site I saw it on...but I haven't even tried it yet. I just decided to see what I could find out about the custom search. Let me know if you get good results. happy.gif
agkits
This is another example of customers having to improvise because of a basic function that doesn't function properly. The search logic is terrible.

Agreed. Almost as bad as the search logic of these forums.... of course the forums aren't created by monstersmile.gif.
loft
I know this is an older thread but as an admin at another forum I like to use existing threads instead of creating new ones. We sell lots of books and people often search by ISBN numbers and customers don't always find stuff that we do indeed have in stock. My boss had disabled the search and then he hired me and I was all "no you HAVE to have site search." We placed a link to the MC advanced search page on our left side but literally noone's used it.

We could feature the existing search more prominently and people would probably use it, or we could use Google Custom Search. Its a matter of which one will help our customers find what they want, and help us via reporting know what they are looking for that we might need to add to our current offering.

Has anyone used Google Custom Search on their site? As usual there's 'snippets of code' to place on each page. Any thoughts as to whether this is worth $100 a year and if its superior to the MC Advanced search would be appreciated. We are not yet on V7 so is the search in V7 improved such that we might not need this a few months down the road when we've migrated?

http://www.google.com/coop/cse/
totlcomp
QUOTE(heartland @ Jul 26 2007, 11:31 PM) *

Google Search Function

We use the Google Custom Search Engine on our site. It's not the easiest thing to get going, but after some work it's a heck of a lot more reliable and useful than the built in search. The only piece missing is the ability to customize the width of the search results - it busts our columns out a few pixels.

Try a search for "pull station cover" on our site to see what the results look like. The built-in search used to return nothing for that search string. For us, it is well worth the $100.

http://www.totalcomputing.net
loft
QUOTE(totlcomp @ May 29 2008, 09:23 AM) *
QUOTE(heartland @ Jul 26 2007, 11:31 PM) *

Google Search Function

We use the Google Custom Search Engine on our site. It's not the easiest thing to get going, but after some work it's a heck of a lot more reliable and useful than the built in search. The only piece missing is the ability to customize the width of the search results - it busts our columns out a few pixels.

Try a search for "pull station cover" on our site to see what the results look like. The built-in search used to return nothing for that search string. For us, it is well worth the $100.

http://www.totalcomputing.net

Many thanks - we just signed up. Hopefully I can get it going without pulling out too much hair. hooray.gif Cheers!
totlcomp
Good luck! The Google Group for CSE is very active if you have questions.
loft
QUOTE(totlcomp @ May 29 2008, 02:19 PM) *
Good luck! The Google Group for CSE is very active if you have questions.

LOL well it already isn't working so I guess I'll grab some coffee and actually read the documentation and hit the group. Did you use the I-Frames option?
totlcomp
Yes, I had to use iframes. I couldn't get the overlay to work.

The way I tested was to create 2 custom pages....one for the search and one for the results. When I first started trying to implement it, the search kept dumping me back to the homepage. This is the code I'm using and it works well. I've replaced the URLs and id's for obvious reasons smile.gif

CODE
<!-- Google CSE Search Box Begins  -->
<form  action="http://www.yoururl.com/index.asp" id="generatedByGoogle" target="_self">
<input type="hidden" name="pageAction" value="Custom" />
<input type="hidden" name="ID" value="48" />
<input type="hidden" name="cx" value="generatedByGoogle" />
<input type="hidden" name="cof" value="FORID:11" />
<input type="text" name="q" size="20" />
<input type="submit" name="sa" value="Search" />
</form>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://google.com/coop/cse/brand?form=searchbox_generatedByGoogle"></script>
<!-- Google CSE Search Box Ends -->

Your search results page should have code similar to this:
CODE
"><!-- Google Search Result Snippet Begins -->
<div id="results_generatedByGoogle"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">
  var googleSearchIframeName = "results_generatedByGoogle";
  var googleSearchFormName = "searchbox_generatedByGoogle";
  var googleSearchFrameWidth = 470;
  var googleSearchFrameborder = 0;
  var googleSearchDomain = "www.google.com";
  var googleSearchPath = "/cse";
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/afsonline/show_afs_search.js"></script>
<!-- Google Search Result Snippet Ends -->

I edited the googleSearchFrameWidth to try and make it fit in my center column (which is 490), but it won't go any smaller than 500px.

Good luck!
loft
QUOTE(totlcomp @ May 29 2008, 04:39 PM) *
Yes, I had to use iframes. I couldn't get the overlay to work.

The way I tested was to create 2 custom pages....one for the search and one for the results. When I first started trying to implement it, the search kept dumping me back to the homepage. This is the code I'm using and it works well. I've replaced the URLs and id's for obvious reasons smile.gif

CODE
<!-- Google CSE Search Box Begins  -->
<form  action="http://www.yoururl.com/index.asp" id="generatedByGoogle" target="_self">
<input type="hidden" name="pageAction" value="Custom" />
<input type="hidden" name="ID" value="48" />
<input type="hidden" name="cx" value="generatedByGoogle" />
<input type="hidden" name="cof" value="FORID:11" />
<input type="text" name="q" size="20" />
<input type="submit" name="sa" value="Search" />
</form>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://google.com/coop/cse/brand?form=searchbox_generatedByGoogle"></script>
<!-- Google CSE Search Box Ends -->

Your search results page should have code similar to this:
CODE
"><!-- Google Search Result Snippet Begins -->
<div id="results_generatedByGoogle"></div>
<script type="text/javascript">
  var googleSearchIframeName = "results_generatedByGoogle";
  var googleSearchFormName = "searchbox_generatedByGoogle";
  var googleSearchFrameWidth = 470;
  var googleSearchFrameborder = 0;
  var googleSearchDomain = "www.google.com";
  var googleSearchPath = "/cse";
</script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.google.com/afsonline/show_afs_search.js"></script>
<!-- Google Search Result Snippet Ends -->

I edited the googleSearchFrameWidth to try and make it fit in my center column (which is 490), but it won't go any smaller than 500px.

Good luck!

This is EXACTLY what I needed. Ours dumps back to the home page as well - can't thank you enough, you've saved more of my hair....bigsmile.gif
totlcomp
Awesome, glad I could help! happy.gif
loft
Just wanted to let you know with your help its done and working! Cheers!
totlcomp
Great to hear...Happy Weekend!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.