Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Database Limit, # of concurrent users?
Buddha
post Aug 19 2004, 12:06 PM
Post #1

Monster Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,375

I noticed that the standard database MC uses is MSDE, which has a limit of 25 concurrent users.

For a dynamic product website, what is the maximum amount of traffic this standard database can handle?

500 concurrent site visitors? 1000 site visitors? 5000?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
undejj
post Aug 19 2004, 01:24 PM
Post #2

Monster General
Group Icon

Group: Merchant Mods
Member No.: 967

QUOTE (Buddha @ Aug 19 2004, 01:07 PM)
I noticed that the standard database MC uses is MSDE, which has a limit of 25 concurrent users.

Interesting .. is this true?

+Quote Post
Neil82591
post Aug 19 2004, 04:20 PM
Post #3

Monster General
Group Icon

Group: Merchant Mods
Member No.: 151

Aren't we using an SQL database with version 4?

+Quote Post
Brad
post Aug 20 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #4

Monster Sergeant
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 344

Buddha -

I clicked the wrong button blushing.gif and accidentally deleted your post, which was:

Monkstah,

I have to respectfully disagree with you. You are correct about "25 concurrent users would be 25 concurrent people accessing or writing to the database at a single time. "

But since virtually every link that MC software creates pulls from the database, that means 25 users have to click on any dynamic link at the same time.

If you have 1000 visitors on a website at one time, there is a very good chance that 25 of them can click on a dynamic link at once, which would cause the database to slow to a crawl.

I am pretty sure that the standard database cannot handle a product website with 10000 concurrent site visitors.

Have you done a stress test? I'm sure some of the developers there must know the traffic limit.

Sorry about that, I've got lousy aim pinch.gif ..... The monstersmile.gif software actually uses SQL Server Enterprise Edition for the database.

I apologize for any confusion.

Brad

+Quote Post
xsf2004
post Aug 20 2004, 09:19 AM
Post #5

Monster Wannabe
Group Icon

Group: MonsterVIP
Member No.: 2,054

If you have a website with 10,000 or more users clicking on one link at the same time... the database is going to be the least of your problems. I would be more concerned about how you were going to process all the orders.

During our rush season we see aprox 20,000 unique visitors per day which generates about 400-500 orders (online and phone). If the database was all I had to worry about I'd be in heaven.

+Quote Post
Buddha
post Aug 20 2004, 11:09 AM
Post #6

Monster Newbie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,375

Brad,

Which version of MC are you referring to?

I just purchased MC version 4 and the database it comes with and uses is MSDE. MSDE is a stripped down version of SQL. I've talked with 3 people at MC, including 2 ppl that worked on the installation and confirmed that the database is MSDE. My server admin also confirmed.

If I am misinformed OR I have the wrong database installed, please correct me so I have my facts straight.

xsf, With that level of traffic, I would suggest that you figure out the maximum number of concurrenct users you expect during your peak hour and run a stress test on your site. You will probably find that the response times become a major issue after 20 concurrent users. 20-30K unique visitors should hit that limit.

Are there any MC customers with a large dynamic site using the standard database with more than 25K uniques per day? If you are allowed to say, please sticky me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2017 - 11:22 PM