> A Couple Of Questions About Product Groups
jtoone
post Aug 15 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #1

Monster Wannabe
Group Icon

Group: Verified Store Member
Member No.: 2,347

I'm new to the system and have run into a couple of things I haven't been able to figure out.

1) I have a product group that I want to list under multiple Categories. Is there any easy way to do this? For example, I have 10 yo-yos I want to list under the group name "Yo-Yos" but I want to list yo-yos under "Fun", "Skill Toys", and "Remember This" categories. How would I go about this? From what I can see, you can only select a single category to associate a group with....

2) Is there a way to prevent individual products which are part of a group from showing up on category pages independent of their group? Do you simply remove all associations from the products and let the group association do your product listing for you?

Thanks for any assistance you can give.

- Jennifer
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mBruzina
post Aug 15 2004, 11:10 PM
Post #2

Monster Wannabe
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,293

1) I have a product group that I want to list under multiple Categories. Is there any easy way to do this? For example, I have 10 yo-yos I want to list under the group name "Yo-Yos" but I want to list yo-yos under "Fun", "Skill Toys", and "Remember This" categories. How would I go about this? From what I can see, you can only select a single category to associate a group with....

You may accomplish this by adding X amount of product groups for X categories. Each product group will be exactly the same, even the same name, but the category associated with the group will be different. As of now, there is no way to set multiple cats for a product group...the only drawback to this method I described is that every time you go to edit the product groups, you will have , say, 5 groups named 'Yo-Yos' but you will not know what category they reference until you edit the product.... this may prove to be a headache as the number of similar group names show up

hope this helps thumbsup.gif - Michael

+Quote Post
ArcoJedi
post Aug 16 2004, 07:28 AM
Post #3

Monster Stallion
Group Icon

Group: Guests
Member No.: 10

QUOTE (jtoone @ Aug 15 2004, 06:56 PM)
2) Is there a way to prevent individual products which are part of a group from showing up on category pages independent of their group? Do you simply remove all associations from the products and let the group association do your product listing for you?

Welcome to the Forums!

For #2, keep in mind that each product MUST be assigned to a category or you cannot save it. You can still have the product not normally show up in the standard category by saving it to a separate category only and then hiding that category.

Another better option would be to just increase the sort code for each of these products to make them appear last in the category.

+Quote Post
jtoone
post Aug 16 2004, 08:37 AM
Post #4

Monster Wannabe
Group Icon

Thanks for your help with these! Your answers will save me a lot of time!

Much appreciated,

Jennifer

+Quote Post
jtoone
post Aug 20 2004, 12:52 PM
Post #5

Monster Wannabe
Group Icon

QUOTE (mBruzina @ Aug 15 2004, 11:11 PM)

You may accomplish this by adding X amount of product groups for X categories. Each product group will be exactly the same, even the same name, but the category associated with the group will be different. As of now, there is no way to set multiple cats for a product group...the only drawback to this method I described is that every time you go to edit the product groups, you will have , say, 5 groups named 'Yo-Yos' but you will not know what category they reference until you edit the product.... this may prove to be a headache as the number of similar group names show up

hope this helps thumbsup.gif - Michael

This is working great for my site, however I have discovered that a search on the name of the group returns all copies of that group. I generally have 5 copies of a given group, as that's the number of categories the groups need to appear under.

Does anyone know a way around this problem? I'd like for a single copy of the group to show up when search is used.

Thanks,

Jennifer

+Quote Post
ArcoJedi
post Aug 20 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #6

Monster Stallion
Group Icon

Group: Guests
Member No.: 10

You can try to fix this by going to Site Information > Site Wide Settings > Site Rules > Hide Duplicate Products in Search, and setting this to YES. However, usually this does not accomplish this as each of the five product groups are actually not exact duplicates since they are in different categories.

This feature is really an outdated switch from version 3.x as it was very important then. You could only assign a product to ONE category at a time SOOO in order to have one product in two places you had to Clone it. This feature hid these sometimes, but also sometimes hid unrelated items.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2017 - 08:50 AM