> Huge Rise In Declined Transactions?
RobVW
post Jan 3 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #1

Monster Wannabe
Group Icon

Group: Verified Store Member
Member No.: 10,293

Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed a significant rise in orders being rejected due to "Unable to Verify Card ID", as well as the usual bad AVS billing address issues.

Is anyone aware of any possible reason for the sudden rise? Are there some cards that do not have the card ID or even billing address? (I'm thinking possibly, set limit gift cards with Visa logo?).

I'm tempted to just set up my USAepay account to allow all sales regardless of card ID/AVS results, but am hesitant for obvious reasons.

Of course the customers have no idea why their orders are being rejected, but that is a whole different (old) issue.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monster Tech Lea...
post Jan 4 2008, 05:50 AM
Post #2

Monster Yoda
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2,798

Hi RobVW,

Best thing that I can recommend would be to call USA ePay to see what they recommend to do with for those types of error codes returned and to what all would be causing them. They will be able to give you a lot more information on those specific orders then we could generally speaking.

Joe

+Quote Post
deerefun
post Jan 4 2008, 07:18 AM
Post #3

Jedi Monster
Group Icon

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,495

Probably gift cards with no address associated to them.
Steve

+Quote Post
Jeff Z
post Jan 15 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #4

Monster Know It All
Group Icon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE(RobVW @ Jan 4 2008, 12:12 AM) *
Over the past couple of weeks I have noticed a significant rise in orders being rejected due to "Unable to Verify Card ID", as well as the usual bad AVS billing address issues.

Is anyone aware of any possible reason for the sudden rise? Are there some cards that do not have the card ID or even billing address? (I'm thinking possibly, set limit gift cards with Visa logo?).

I'm tempted to just set up my USAepay account to allow all sales regardless of card ID/AVS results, but am hesitant for obvious reasons.

Of course the customers have no idea why their orders are being rejected, but that is a whole different (old) issue.

Hey Rob -- I don't know how you have your system setup in USAePay (Auth only, etc.) but they have a new feature that is supposed to be available soon (I can't wait). While it won't cure the customer not knowing why their card was declined, it will cure the mess made when they go ahead and hit back and then process the order and then back again and so on...I've had a customer do it 7 times whoa.gif each time, authorizing his card for a large sum. Come to find out it was his debit card. His car loan company was set up to do electronic payments to his account and it bounced. Needless to say he was a lost customer. Anyway, soon they should have a feature (you can see it in the fraud tools on the epay backend) that will allow you to check the avs info BEFORE going for an authorization. That's going to save much hassle... I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if it's ready yet. They told me 'soon' and I am on the list of people to call when it's ready.

- Jeff

+Quote Post
Meir
post Jan 25 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #5

Average Monster
Group Icon

Member No.: 6,746

I have noticed the same issue. Lots of declined transaction due to credit card billing address does not match. I am using USAePay as well. I do not know what it is. I am looking into it. Anyone have any insight?

+Quote Post
RobVW
post Jan 28 2008, 05:18 PM
Post #6

Monster Wannabe
Group Icon

Member No.: 10,293

Jeff Z,

Have you had a chance to try out this feature yet?

I just noticed that on USAEpay, in the Fraud Center>AVS Response section, the last option says:
Precheck AVS Response Before Authorization*
*This feature might not be supported by your merchant account type.

I am assuming this is what you were referring to in your above post.

Just wondering if it works.

QUOTE(Jeff Z @ Jan 15 2008, 03:48 PM) *
QUOTE(RobVW @ Jan 4 2008, 12:12 AM) *

Hey Rob -- I don't know how you have your system setup in USAePay (Auth only, etc.) but they have a new feature that is supposed to be available soon (I can't wait). While it won't cure the customer not knowing why their card was declined, it will cure the mess made when they go ahead and hit back and then process the order and then back again and so on...I've had a customer do it 7 times whoa.gif each time, authorizing his card for a large sum. Come to find out it was his debit card. His car loan company was set up to do electronic payments to his account and it bounced. Needless to say he was a lost customer. Anyway, soon they should have a feature (you can see it in the fraud tools on the epay backend) that will allow you to check the avs info BEFORE going for an authorization. That's going to save much hassle... I'm going to call them tomorrow to see if it's ready yet. They told me 'soon' and I am on the list of people to call when it's ready.

- Jeff

+Quote Post
adoptshoppeVIP
post Feb 7 2008, 09:52 AM
Post #7

Monster Know It All
Group Icon

Group: MonsterVIP
Member No.: 2,523

I also noted a big jump in declines this past week, all AMEX.

After exploring the issue (with a lot of time on hold), it appears AMEX no longer supports the 3 or 4 digit CVV2 code and will force a Card Code Mismatch whenever a customer tries to use the code. Also, too, AMEX wants merchants to ship to the billing address only. No more bill here/ship there.

As a gift-centric store, I couldn't have that, so I cancelled AMEX today.

+Quote Post
magneticstyle
post Feb 20 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #8

Monster Newbie

Member No.: 8,802

QUOTE(adoptshoppeVIP @ Feb 7 2008, 12:16 PM) *

After exploring the issue (with a lot of time on hold), it appears AMEX no longer supports the 3 or 4 digit CVV2 code and will force a Card Code Mismatch whenever a customer tries to use the code. Also, too, AMEX wants merchants to ship to the billing address only. No more bill here/ship there.

wow, good to know, i have also noticed some decilne, i will take a look to see ifa ll amex as well.

+Quote Post
Michael E
post Feb 22 2008, 06:33 AM
Post #9

Monster Newbie

Member No.: 9,980

QUOTE(magneticstyle @ Feb 20 2008, 11:28 PM) *
QUOTE(adoptshoppeVIP @ Feb 7 2008, 12:16 PM) *

wow, good to know, i have also noticed some decilne, i will take a look to see ifa ll amex as well.

I have success using the return codes and displaying a message to the customer as to why their card was declined. This works for Authorize.net but am not sure about how others return card declines. I would suggest researching this and determine if it will work for you.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th January 2018 - 05:32 AM